Thursday, October 9, 2014

Maybe Miss Nelson's Car Was Carried off by a Swarm of Angry Butterflies

I spent hour upon hour over the past week setting up the school library in its new location--moving books, sorting books, shelving books, throwing damaged books missing more pages than they had left in them in the bin (the horror).  Our library is not so huge, so the task might not have been as large as you might be thinking when reading this.  However, for a small(ish) library, I was very impressed the the gems of books I found amongst the stacks.  One such gem I came across on Tuesday was Miss Nelson is Missing!  by Harry Allard and James Marshall.

I could not wait to read this book to the kids when they were finally able to return to school.  I think it should be mandatory that school-aged children be exposed to the great character, Miss Viola Swamp.


I mean, those socks, and those lips, "Sit perfectly still!"  Who does not like a book about a teacher manipulating small children into behaving the way she would like by treating them horribly while wearing a fabulous disguise?

As an educator today, I question the classroom management strategies Miss Nelson and/or her school employ as a whole in order for the kids' misbehaviour to get into that state, but that discussion would not be fun or interesting in a children's book, I guess.

In other book and butterfly news, a parent hunted me down today when I was hiding out in the administrator's office trying to get a time sensitive document completed by the deadline. I am glad she did.  She informed me that she had a book published recently, and it is available on amazon.com:  I Wish I Had a Pet Butterfly.  I am always in awe when someone tells me they have written a book and double awe to learn that it has been published.  I hope to get my hands on a copy soon, and I also hope we can get her to share here experiences as an author with learners in our school community.




No comments:

Post a Comment