Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Response to the Missing Showerhead Does Not Become Him

Around 4:00 o’clock yesterday afternoon I continued the Whatsapp conversation initiated by the handyman of my apartment building.  Yeah, I guess it has creepily evolved to that.  I followed up on the showerhead that was removed from the master bedroom bath on Monday when a few small repairs were made. 



So the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back is a showerhead.  In addition to the shower problems I had been experiencing, I had no lights in my kitchen for more than two months.  We pay the management company somewhere in the neighbourhood of $1000 per month (crazy, I know, but it is what it is) on top of the rent to service the apartment so, really, going two months without having my kitchen lights repaired is completely unacceptable.  Sure, I could have found someone else or even done the work myself, but let’s not forget the $1000 per month they are being paid to take care of issues like this. 

After receiving the Whatsapp message from the handyman about the thrown-away showerhead, I called up the management company and had a real go at them.  Now, the term ‘real go’ is very relative.  My ‘real go’ did not include any screaming or f-bombs.  I think I might have told them that I considered their performance as a management company exceptionally ‘unprofessional’, and I am sure I used my favourite term:  ridiculous (and thought of Sibyl and Kelly).

When I got home, I was so frustrated that I called a good friend and gave him a real ear full about the day I was having.   And like someone who is emotionally unstable at a particular moment, I related all the problems I have been having in my life for the past year to the showerhead that was removed from my apartment on Monday.   

Then I felt really bad, embarrassed even.  I mean, I would like to think that I am above pitching a hissy fit (love the term, linked to hysteria) just because things do not happen according to my preference and/or my timing.  But I am not. 


As a result of my hysterical behaviour, however, before the night was done, my kitchen lights were repaired.   This was a result of my unbecoming behaviour.  I have always spoken to the people from the management company with courtesy and respect, and the jobs I needed done were left undone.  It is a shame that the way I got them done was to show my ass a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment