Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Recognising and Admitting That I Have a Problem




The above photo may come as a shock to people who have known me for the past several years.  For as long as my friends in Kampala have known me, they have never known me to have a television.  Some people assumed it was because I enjoyed reading so much.  Others thought that I was just bored out of my mind a lot.  The truth is, I am addicted to tv.  I truly believe that there is such an addiction.  I will watch complete and utter rubbish, not get any true pleasure from it, and then hate myself for having wasted my time watching it when I know that there were so many other better or more important things I should have been doing.  

In order to escape the bonds of my addiction, I have opted to not own a television.  

Well guess what.  My flat in Port Harcourt came furnished with one, and not just a tv, but a tv connected to DSTV!!!  Crap.

Once an addict, always an addict.  So I’ve heard said.  I mean, I have slid back into eating pounds of unhealthy junk while sitting in my underwear.  On the weekends, I may go without bathing.  I might have even begun withdrawing from my friends except I’ve not mad friends to withdraw from yet.  This relapse is quite disgusting considering the progress I thought I’d made over the years. 

I mean, now I cannot imagine what my life was like before I became acquainted with The Big Bang Theory.  My other shows of choice are Come Dine with Me and Chopped.  Chopped.  Chopped.  Chopped.  I am obsessed with Chopped.  Damn you BBC and Food Networks.  Yes, I am now keeping up with the Kardashians, and I recently enlisted as a Joan Ranger.  Can you believe what she gets away with saying on Fashion Police?  Is it because she’s 80?

Fortunately I can still pull myself together enough to get to work on a daily basis.  

Is that only to earn what I need to feed the addiction and pay my DSTV bill?  

1 comment: