Monday, September 23, 2013

This Old Dog

I remember a day when I would hop at any opportunity to pack up and travel anywhere.  My mom described it as a 'bug'.

Well, I think I might have shaken it.  It kind of freaked me out when I decided to pull my roots out of the nourishing Ugandan soil and go west.  I will now confess that I got depressed.  It was rough time (silver lining:  I lost some kilos!).  I don't think this confession is necessary for some of my friends.  They knew what was up.  In fact, I heard that one friend was plotting an intervention to convince me to stay because he could sense the distress my decision was causing me at the time.

Despite the stress, I knew the change was needed.  I needed to learn and grow so I had to go.

As a way of getting out of the fog, I made the decision that I needed to make this move as fun and colourful as possible.  My purple Sole Rebel shoes are on the way in the mail.  If I was going to be required to dress more 'professional', I was going to do it as brightly (read 'tacky') as possible.  Hell, I was moving to Nigeria, so I had to come with my brights--my greens, purples, oranges, reds, blues and pinks (and that's only my underwear; you should see my shirts!).  Bow ties.  I decided that I needed to be that guy, the one wearing the bow tie.  I bought two: a cheater (one with a clasp) and a real one.  Not that I had one clue of how to tie one.

But you can learn how to do anything by watching youtube.

First I watched this:



and got it wrong.

Then I watched this:


and came closer but still did not quite get it.

I ended up combining advice from both videos and got to here:


and was pretty happy.

This old dog has learned a new trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment