Friday, November 8, 2013

Mighty God of Thunder

Thor: The Dark World opened in Port Harcourt this week.  Natalie Portman on top of a recommendation from a friend were ultimately what led me to watch the first film in this current franchise.  My reasons for being excited about this week’s premier were:
  • the first film was pretty good;
  • and my itch to leave my apartment more often needed to be scratched.

I joined a couple of friends for the 5:10pm showing at Genesis Center.  On the plus side, you can have a pre-show drink at the Chinese/pizza restaurant on the ground floor.  On the not-so-plus side, the screen on which Thor was showing was slightly larger than a big screen TV, so it kind of felt like a private viewing room of some celebrity on MTV Cribs, circa 1999.  Not completely a negative.


While Natalie retuned for this installment, and I loved how the skirt of her dress billowed all Melissa-Gilbert-as-Laura-Ingalls like during the running scenes on Asgard, it was one of the Two Broke Girls, Kat Dennings, whose performance that I was most excited to see.  She acted the devil out of her comic relief role in the previous Thor, and she brought chipper light to this one as well.   Kat's intern-with-an-intern character has me looking forward to the Thor film which is sure to come in the next couple of years.

Despite my fondness for the current Thor films, my favourite, absolute favourite Thor related scene in a motion picture is from back in 1987.



Adventures in Babysitting not only sparked my interest in Norse mythology, but it also introduced my pre-pubescent self to Clearasil.  



No comments:

Post a Comment