Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Eid Mubarak, Y’all!!!


I really missed an opportunity.  I should have cooked a pilawo today.  Fortunately for me, Eid al Adha/Kabir is a two-day celebration in Nigeria so there is always tomorrow AND I have about two pounds of beef fillet in the freezer, rice in the pantry and some spices on the shelves.  Ideas!  Ideas!  

Today I was determined to get out for a while.  I wanted to visit the cafe at the Golden Tulip hotel which is just around the corner from where I live.  My intention for the past few days has been to go there and read.  I know that I can read at home, but I am spending way too much time at home.  My art and other personal belongings still have not arrived, even though they arrived in Lagos ELEVEN days ago.  Sitting, looking at these bare walls day in and day out is a little sad.  I guess for some people it would just be normal, but it is not what I am used to.  My paintings make me smile when I look at them.  Each one means something special to me, many of them have special memories attached to them.  I need those memories and the happiness evoked by my art here in Port Harcourt.     

After many days of set backs, I finally made it to the Tulip and found a nice, comfortable place to sit and read for a few hours.  It was nice, but the coffee was not.  In fact, I would say that the cappuccino was beyond bad.  It was awful.  This was the second time I had a cappuccino there.  The first time it was not great, but drinkable.  This time it was just wrong.  It is sad because they have a decent machine.  However it seems that no one knows how to use it.  Maybe I could volunteer to teach them.  


Or I could just buy my own machine when I am in Brussels in four days!!!  However, that would mean staying at home for a decent cappuccino.  However, maybe by the time I get back, my art and things will be here.  Oh, wow!  An idea!!!  You Will & Grace fans will get it:  Jaques!  I could open up my own little coffee shop on the landing outside of my flat.  Now if only I could find three friends-like-family who would be my regular patrons...

I also had lunch at the Tulip, nothing interesting, just fish and chips (French fries).  I say nothing interesting, but the chips tasted like they had been fried in butter.  I'm not kidding.  Perhaps they were fried in margarine or Blue Band or whatever, and they were buttery, crispy and delicious.  Buttery chips:  wow on my taste buds!

No comments:

Post a Comment