Wednesday, October 16, 2013

More Than Just a Colour

Now you know how much I love my Queens.  Well, I am developing quite an affinity for my Queen’s as well.
From tonight’s menu,



I chose

It was my first okazi, and it delighted.  I am a sucker for greens.  If it is a leaf, I’ll probably love it.  Yes, in a past life I was probably a rabbit.

Tonight’s delightful okazi experience was my favourite gastronomic delight so far, and I attribute much of my appreciation of the meal to the service at Queen’s.  Because of my lack of appreciation for most things fishy, I have learned to ask that my food be served without the addition of extra fish bits on top which is a very common way of serving in this area.  Tonight, to my disappointment, goat (which is prominently advertised on the menu) was not available.  Neither was snail, and since that is what I ordered my last visit (the waiter remembered:  points for him!) he appoligised.  Little did he know.  The only meat available for the soup was fish.  

Nope.  

Not for me.  

Sorry.

I just can’t.

I politely, yes politely, asked that I be served the okazi with no meat.  The waiter said that would be no problem.  Then he had a brilliant idea.  He asked it I would not mind if he served it with prawns.  Now I enjoy prawns, so I agreed.  When it came out, not only did it have prawns, but it had periwinkles.  When I saw them mixed in with the greens and prawns, I had to ask the waiter what here were because I had no idea.  When he told me, I had to look periwinkle up online to get a better idea of what I was about to ingest because when I hear periwinkle, I think of a shade of purple/blue.  Ok, I knew that periwinkles are a type of gastropod, but I wanted to see what they looked like before they ended up in what turned out to be a yummy soup.  I’m down for trying almost anything at least once (Almost. I totally drew the line with eating dog in Vietnam.  I just can’t.) and I am pretty certain that I’ll be requesting this combo again in the not-too-distant future.  It was remarkably good, and the amount of heat from the pepper in the dish kept me scooping up more and more.

For dessert, here are some of the other Queens I enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment