Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Questionable Taste

So, I took another stroll last night.  I’m all about the neighbourhood these days.  Next week will mark two months in Port Harcourt, and it is only within the past few days that I am exploring on my own.  I was considering a jog one day, but I scrapped that idea this morning after talking with a teacher, who is also a jogger, and he shared his experience of being assaulted and robbed while on a morning jog.  Crap!  Who attacks joggers?  They don’t run with much to steal.
Gotta find a gym and a (gasp!) treadmill.  As much as I hate them, I think they are my fate.  At least for now.  Ok, let's be honest.  For now there is so little exercise going on that, FOR NOW, my belly is growing again.  Damn it!  I gave up the pregnancy belly a year ago.  Welcome... back... old... friend???


Just up the road from my place is Queen’s Restaurant.  I saw it on Monday as I was leaving the barber shop and decided that I was going to eat there on Tuesday.  I almost did not go last night because it poured buckets of rain, but it stopped, and I got my rear end off of the sofa and headed out.  It was probably darker than was wise to walk up the road alone, but I’m not known for my wisdom.  On last night’s menu at Queen’s was snail.  I’d never eaten giant land snail, so I was like, “I’m on it!”  But now I’m off it.  The egusi soup it came cooked in was probably the best I’ve eaten yet, lots of yummy tiny shrimp in it.  However, the snail was just tough and flavourless in my opinion.  Besides my palette not being accustomed to it, the texture was not appealing to me at all.  I’ve not completely given up on snail.  Maybe this place just got it wrong on Tuesday night.  


I really loved how colourful Queen's was.  It made me happy as I ate my dinner, but that is enough about Tuesday night, a bit about today now.  

I’m the kind of teacher that is not phased by lack of resources.  I just make it happen.  Today I needed a computer activity for my five year olds during their ICT.  We have been practising using labels, and I also wanted them to practise clicking and dragging with a mouse.  Well, the school did not have the type of programme I wanted so...  Voilá!



Let’s label Mr. Timothy!

Days like today take me back to my AmeriCorps*VISTA days with the FASS VISTA Initiative, still ‘getting things done’.

No comments:

Post a Comment